* Angell is ranked #20 out of 2,362 public and charter elementary and middle schools in 2013 in the State of Michigan.
• Angell received an “A” on the Michigan School Report Card from the Michigan Department of Education.
• Angell was constructed in 1923. It was named after James Burrill Angell. He is best known for being the longest-serving president of the University of Michigan (1871–1909).
•Approximately 315 students are enrolled in grades K-5.
• Angell students in grades 3-5 take the MEAP (Michigan Educational Assessment Program) each year. In 2008-09, averaging 3-5 grade MEAP scores, 95% met or exceeded the standard in English Language, 97% in Reading, 85% in Writing, 98% in Mathematics, and 94% in Science. These scores exceed the AAPS district averages and substantially exceed the State averages.
• Members of the Rotary Club volunteer on a weekly basis to tutor students in reading or assist with math computation.
Welcome to the Angell Elementary School Homepage
School begins on Tuesday, September 2nd at 8:45 AM.
Class placement notification will be sent to families by August 28, 2014.
We are excited to see you!
Bus Information for the 2014-2015 School Year
All route times given are estimated. Please have your child arrive at the bus stop 10 minutes earlier than the time given until the driver establishes a permanent time.
BUS 118 Twin Lakes Dr @ Lakeridge Way 8:25 Devonshire @ Heatherway 8:31 Devonshire Rd @ Spruce 8:32 BUS 119 2200 Fuller Ct 8:17 2416 Fuller Ct 8:19 2872 Glazier Way 8:21 McIntyre @ Lot 44 8:22 Geddes @ Geddes Rdg (cross walk) 8:31 559 Riverview 8:32 Huntington Pl @ Riverview 8:34 2690 Appleway 8:36 BUS 134 Beal @ Lot 41 8:26 McIntyre @ Lot 46 8:28
Check out some of the great things that happen at Angell School: concerts, assemblies, plays, exciting science lessons, International Night, Spirit Days ~ just to name a few!
Assistant Professor Glenn Wilcox and Assistant Professor Anca Trandafirescu, principals of the firm area.architecture won a 2013 AIA Huron Valley Honor Award for their project ‘Flying Carpet,’ in the Small Project/Low Budget category.
The Flying Carpet is a piece of microarchitecture that converts a long, narrow volume of space in an elementary school into a reading, writing, lounging, and play space for the children occupants of the building.
Folk stories in many cultures tell of a mythical flying carpet that transport their riders to distant places faster than the wind. Recalling these stories from our own childhood, the flying carpet became the apt poetic metaphor for the space’s primary activities: reading, writing, and imagining… the fastest ways we know to travel elsewhere.
The form of the work was generated using a computer script written by the designers, which facilitated the production of many variations early in the design process in addition to generating the final tooling paths for CNC machining.
More information and images of the work in process and completed can be found at their website:
• The PTO and staff support a rich enrichment program directed by a part time staff member that provides outstanding opportunities to extend student learning.
• Girls on the Run, is an after school non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls (grades 3-5) to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.
Angell is a Top Ranked School!
The State of Michigan publishes a ranking of all the public schools in the state. It is called the Top to Bottom list. Angell is one of 19 elementary schools that scored in the 99% in the entire State of Michigan. We have ranked in the top 20 of all elementary schools for the last three years. Angell has received the Beating the Odds award from the Michigan Department of Education in 2009-10 and 2010-11 school years for exceptional student achievement. Check it out!
Tuesday, August 26th, 5:30-6:30 PM ~ Incoming Kindergarten and New to 1st Grade Family Picnic. Families - bring your blanket and or lawn chairs and food. The Angell PTO is supplying the drinks. This is a great time to meet other families and an opportunity for the students to make friends. If there is rain or inclement weather, the picnic will be cancelled.
Tuesday, August 26th, 6:30-7:15 PM ~ New parent orientation. This orientation is for families who have enrolled recently and did not attend the spring orientation or the Kindergarten Round Up.
Tuesday, September 2nd ~ First Day of School
Angell Elementary is a great place to go to school! See for yourself and enjoy these photo albums below!
Angell Elementary School is committed to creating a learning environment in which parents, teachers and students: • expect academic excellence • value diversity • challenge all students to reach their individual and collective potential • promote personal responsibility, respectful behavior, and problem-solving skills • nurture the unique qualities in each child • effectively communicate with each other, and • provide for extended learning opportunities for adults as well as children
We will collaborate and cooperate as a caring and supportive community, which reflects the international and diverse nature of our population.